Tuscan-Style Bean Soup
Photos and recipe from Cooking Classy
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 5 garlic cloves, minced*
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste**
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans cannellini beans or great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups (packed) fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 6 Tbsp shredded parmesan for serving
- Heat 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and saute 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Pour in chicken broth and Italian seasoning. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover soup with lid, bring soup to a light boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer until veggies are tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Add beans and spinach. Let heat just until spinach wilts, about 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat. Mash up about half the beans with a potato masher (this helps make the brother creamier and heartier).
- Drizzle individual servings of soup with remaining 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, and top with parmesan.
- *If you don’t love garlic you can reduce this to 2-3 cloves, but then you may want to replace the garlic with more herbs.
- Wanting to amp up the flavor? You can finish the soup with some chopped fresh basil, parsley or oregano. Or try it with a spritz of fresh lemon.