Strawberries are a popular summer fruit!
They are in season in Pittsburgh right now, and if you would like to take a fun family trip, try berry picking at places like Simmons Farm, Triple B Farms, Trax Farms, Snyder’s Berry Farm, or Soergel Orchards. The benefits of strawberries contain a variety of nutrients and vitamins, including Vitamin C, potassium, folic acid, and manganese. They are also a good source of fiber and are low in saturated fat.
Try out this delicious Summer Breeze Smoothie recipe from MyPlate this summer – especially with some fresh-picked berries! (Don’t have strawberries? Try swapping out for other types of berries that are in season!)
- 1 cup plain yogurt (non-fat)
- 6 strawberries (medium)
- 1 cup pineapple (crushed, canned in juice)
- 1 banana (medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ice cubes
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Place all ingredients in blender and puree until smooth.
- Serve in frosted glass. (optional)
Smoothie tip: For a thicker, more flavorful smoothie, try freezing your fruit instead of using ice cubes and add a little low fat or almond milk instead!