Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) is one of the world’s most popular health foods. Quinoa is gluten-free, high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain sufficient amounts of all nine essential amino acids. It is also high in fiber, magnesium, B vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants. Did we mention versatile and tasty?
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 ½ cups water, or vegetable broth
- 1 ¼ cups salsa
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- salt to taste
- olive oil to taste
- tortilla to serve (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and water, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in salsa and cumin, and cook covered for 5 more minutes or until quinoa is fluffy.
- Add in black beans, corn, salt, and olive oil, and stir until combined.
- Chill; serve cold with avocado dressing
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons water
- Combine avocado, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in water a little bit at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- For extra smooth consistency, process all ingredients in blender or food processor.
- Serve over Mexican quinoa
Recipe from Tasty: https://tasty.co/recipe/one-pot-mexican-quinoa.