Try this Ukrainian recipe for Syrniki to get some healthy fats, fruits, and protein in the morning.
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 10 min
- 16 oz cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c all purpose flour + 1/2 c for dredging
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c dried cherries or raisins (optional, get no sugar added for a healthier meal)
- 4 Tbsp avocado oil or light oil, for frying
- If using dried cherries, soak in a small bowl of hot water to soften while you make the dough. Skip if not using any dried fruit.
- Make the batter – Whisk 2 eggs in a large bowl and add the cottage cheese and vanilla.
- Sift 1/2 c flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt – mix until combined with a fork. The batter will be thick like dough, not like traditional pancake batter.
- Form the syrniki – Prepare a plate with 1/2 c of flour – you will use it to coat the pancakes. Using a cookie scoop, scoop the batter into the flour. Gently roll around with your hands then gently press the pancakes to form a patty shape. Dust off remaining flour; you only need a light coating.
- Cook the syrniki – before you start frying, make sure the oil in the pan is hot by sprinkling a bit of flour into it. If it sizzles, it’s hot enough.
- Using a large nonstick skillet, heat 3-4 tbsp oil and gently placed the cheese pancakes into the pan. Cook on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until each side is golden brown.
- Place on a paper towel to drain and cool. Do not crowd the pan; cook them in 2-3 batches if necessary.
- When cool, top with ricotta cheese, light whipped cream, syrup, or berries, and enjoy!