JFCS Squirrel Hill Food Pantry, Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank and Feeding America are urging Congress to pass the Keep Kids Fed Act. JFCS Squirrel Hill Food Pantry supports different types of food distribution; amongst seeing the food prices rise we understand personally that households that have children are tasked in finding ways to support healthy nutritious meals for them while budgeting. To collect more bipartisan support please call our senators now and express them to vote YES on this act.
The expiration for this crucial policy to be set into place is on June 30th being a very close date to make a decision in helping kids and families. The Keep Kids Fed Act will allow flexibility for schools and food services along with providing higher meal reimbursements. This would allow children who are eligible to receive reduced-price school meals to receive free school meals for the next school year
Step 1: TAKE ACTION NOW
Call Pennsylvania’s Senators
Senator Bob Casey 202-224-6324
Senator Pat Toomey 202-224-4254
Read Step 2’s easy script to the staffer who answers or leaves a voicemail.
Step 2: Use Your Call-In Script
My name is ________.
As a constituent, I’m calling to urge the senator to vote YES on The Keep Kids Fed Act, which will provide much-needed meals to kids and families across Pennsylvania.
Provisions in The Keep Kids Fed Act
- Extends USDA’s authority to:
- Issue Summer Nutrition waivers through September 30, 2022
- Meal pattern waivers through June 30, 2022
- Increases the school breakfast reimbursement by 15 cents and the school lunch reimbursement by 40 cents.
- Allows children eligible for reduced-price school meals to receive free school meals.
- Extends the Area Eligibility waiver allowing family child care homes to receive the higher Tier 1 reimbursements through the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP).
- Increases CACFP Reimbursements by 10 cents for each meal and snack for child care providers and afterschool programs.