In the past few days, the JFCS has worked in concert with our partners in the Jewish community to organize the following:
Drop-ins at the JCC (Jewish Community Center – Room 202)
Professional counselors have volunteered their services to speak with anyone in need of support.
The schedule for the week of Oct 29 – November 2 (Friday):
9 am – 9 pm
On Saturday, November 3:
9 am – 7 pm
We have also had drop-ins this week at the JCC of South Hills.
Jewish Day and Public Schools
• Our therapeutic staff is talking to teachers and students – explaining how to speak about the tragedy, what to look for, and offering any additional support
• The Israel Trauma Coalition (ITC) will be speaking to the Hillel Academy
• The ITC has also coordinated with Pittsburgh Public Schools on how to speak with students struggling, along with the Allegheny County Office of Behavioral Health
• We connected a Medical Clown, from Dream Doctors of Israel, with various schools and organizations
• We worked with the staff of the JCC preschool teachers and students, along with the staff and kids at the after school program, The Second Floor and Diller Fellows (teen groups)
• The ITC has met at various synagogues, trained staff, and met one-on-one with families
• Sent therapists to the Squirrel Hill Health Center
• Visited various Senior Centers around the city – scheduling to provide support and meeting with the Senior Center in Turtle Creek next week
• Sent massage therapists the Jewish Federation
• United Hatzalah has been sent to the JCC, JUC (Jewish University Center), Shady Side Academy and private homes
• We have arranged for volunteer counseling at the Carnegie Library (Play Space), Literacy Pittsburgh, Men’s Club at Beth El and Repair The World
• At the JFCS Squirrel Hill Food Pantry: Acupuncture Without Borders, Reiki for Trauma – we have also sent massage therapists to various organizations
• The ITC conducted a workshop here for our staff
• Pittsburgh Action Against Rape has offered us their warm-line and crisis counselors for anyone who needs to reach out for support – they can be reached at: 1-866-363-7273 – when prompted press 2 for a helpline counselor.
Thank you to everyone that has reached out and offered assistance and resources.
If your place of work, school, or anything else is in need out our services – please reach out.