Refugee Housing Specialist
- Strong relationship building, networking skills, and ability to effectively build relationships with JFCS staff and external partners.
- Strong organizational skills, excellent problem-solving, and attention to detail to assure accuracy and quality in work product.
- Demonstrate success working and communicating in a multicultural environment.
- Competency using IT systems, Excel, Google docs, and creating tracking systems and quality assurance reports
We are seeking a Refugee Housing Specialist to secure affordable and safe temporary and permanent housing for recently arrived refugees, coordinate the furnishing of homes and provide additional logistical support and collaborate with government agencies, community organizations, and property owners. The Refugee Housing Specialist will work closely with refugee caseworkers to identify housing needs, and with the R&I Service Administrator to track landlord and client information ensuring excellence in service provision and compliance with grant requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct ongoing outreach to current and potential landlords and property managers, building strong working relationships with the goal of increasing access to housing for refugee families.
- Identify, secure, safe, sanitary, appropriate, and affordable housing for newly arriving refugees in compliance with established program and local government requirements.
- Book hotel or Airbnb accommodations for refugees as temporary alternatives until securing permanent housing.
- Coordinate logistics of housing set-ups including ordering furniture and supplies and arranging delivery, arranging utility hook-ups, facilitating lease signings and renewals, arranging payments, and conducting home safety inspections.
- After clients are located in permanent housing, act as a liaison between refugee families and landlords to coordinate client home repair requests and fulfillment of lease agreements as needed.
- Work closely with the volunteer coordinator to assess volunteers’ homes and make sure homes are suitable for temporary housing for refugees.
- Document services provided to clients in accordance with program requirements.
- Support refugees with HUD applications and renewals and other subsidized housing programs available for refugees.
JFCS is committed to assisting refugee and immigrant families meet their immigration goals. JFCS is known as a local leader in providing innovative and effective social service solutions to problems facing families and individuals of all ages and walks of life. Support ranges from counseling services, career services, guardianship services, immigration legal services, refugee and immigrant services, scholarship services and we run the Squirrel Hill Food Pantry. We offer support without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, gender, sexual orientation, familial status, age, handicap or disability.
Please apply for Refugee Housing Specialist by clicking here.