Immigration Attorney & Pro Bono Coordinator
Looking for an immigration attorney to coordinate the recruitment, training and mentoring of pro bono attorneys handling cases. By supporting pro bono attorneys you’ll help JFCS to reach more clients than possible through direct representation. The job also requires the coordination of Continuing Legal Education events, Clinic days and community relations. Some direct client representation will be required as appropriate.
Three years’ experience related to legal immigration law. J.D. required and must be admitted to the Bar. Must be detail-oriented and culturally sensitive. Must have significant experience with complicated immigration cases before U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services and Immigration Court. Excellent communication and organizational skills are necessary. Must keep lawyer status active by attending Continuing Legal Education seminars. Experience working with volunteers is appreciated. Spanish speaker preferred. Experience in family court of Allegheny County helpful.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be responsible for the pro bono attorney program, including: recruitment, training, assigning cases and providing ongoing support for pro bono attorneys. This requires recording information about volunteers into software and monitoring their required clearances and coordinating Continuing Legal Education Courses for pro bono attorneys and volunteers as needed.
- Work with clients in various ways including: providing legal consultations, Instruction and assistance with filling out selected immigration applications and provide ongoing legal representation when appropriate.
- Coordinate community presentations and events for clients and partner agencies on topics related to immigration.
- Be willing to learn the family court process for Allegheny County to support our volunteer attorneys when representing clients for Dependency Petitions or Confirmation of Custody filings.
- Be responsible for tracking outcomes of pro bono cases and providing timely reports for funders.
- Participate in staff development and training opportunities provided by JFCS in order to maintain license and stay abreast of changes in policies and best practices.
- Attend all Immigration department meetings and other meetings as required.
- Submit timesheets in a timely manner (weekly).
- Perform other job-related duties as instructed.
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Immigration Attorney & Pro Bono Coordinator” in the subject line.
About Jewish Family and Community Services (JFCS) Pittsburgh
The professional staff at JFCS is dedicated to helping people successfully cope with life’s changes and challenges. JFCS helps thousands of people every year, through career, geriatric, counseling, refugee and immigrant, guardian, scholarship, food pantry and critical need services. JFCS strives to create a caring and respectful environment sensitive to the need for human dignity, privacy and diversity of those served by the agency.
Jewish Family and Community Services (JFCS) of Pittsburgh is an EOE non-sectarian, non-profit human service agency providing social service, employment and psychological services to help people through lifecycle transitions and crises. Visit www.jfcspgh.org to learn more.