Join our team and build the reputation of JFCS while making an impact on the lives of people working through life’s changes & challenges across Pittsburgh.
JFCS is known as a local leader in providing innovative and effective social service solutions to challenges facing families and individuals of all ages and walks of life. Support ranges from counseling services, career services, guardianship services, immigration legal services, refugee and immigrant services, scholarship services and the Squirrel Hill Food Pantry, We offer support without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, gender, sexual orientation, familial status, age, handicap or disability.
As a key member of the JFCS communications and development team, the Public Relations Specialist is responsible for ensuring the successful implementation of the JFCS public relations strategy so everyone who needs our services and everyone looking to support our services knows about the work we’re doing on a daily basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Remain updated on local, national and trade media in order to pitch relevant stories to media and share stories of interest with JFCS staff, leadership, and the community
- Attend and document JFCS and affiliate meetings, events and activities
- Develop public relations materials in collaboration with staff: agency newsletters, press releases, op-eds, letters to the editors, articles, blogs, vlogs, podcasts and videos
- Maintain the agency’s online presence with accurate and timely information and articles on both the JFCS websites and on community websites
- Track all press, social, and blog placements and measure and report their PR campaign’s effectiveness.
- Develop and maintain relationships with journalists and members of the media
- Pitch stories to the media and seek out interview opportunities for JFCS staff and lay leadership.
- Serve as primary media contact for JFCS leadership and staff and respond accurately and efficiently to urgent media requests
- Advise staff related to crisis communications
- Prepare talking points for JFCS staff and leadership, provide media coaching and coordinate interviews both by phone and in-person
- Occasionally represent organization as official spokesperson
Social Media Community
- Collaborate with Strategic Marketing Specialist to track and manage the agency’s image and reputation on social media
- Interact with social media following, make agency announcements on social media, and develop relationships with social media influencers to promote the agency
- Build relationships with community influencers and local government representatives
- Collaborate with staff to find additional ways to promote JFCS’ work and services to strengthen the agency’s public reputation.
- Support the department in other tasks as needed, including marketing, fundraising, special events and outreach
- Maintain a high level of customer service to all stakeholders
- Participate in professional development via webinars, seminars and conferences
- Provide other administrative support to the Communications/Fundraising Department
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor level degree in Journalism, Communications, English or related field
- Two or more years work experience in communications field
- Proven public relations results with a variety of local media outlets (print, broadcast, online) and with local influencers (social media and bloggers)
- Proficiency in content management systems, social media and blogging
- Photo and video editing experience
- Experience in producing a robust social media presence
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experienced and comfortable working with sensitive subject matter
- Interest and/or knowledge of current events and what’s impacting the Pittsburgh region, as well as industry trends
Qualities and Abilities
- Manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
- Produce quality written work on short notice
- Generate, share and follow through on ideas
- Adapt messages for diverse audiences
- Provide stellar customer service
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders
- Work independently while coordinating with relevant stakeholders
- Work with diverse populations and sensitive to the needs of people served by JFCS
- Self-motivated, organized, detail-oriented, deadline-driven, creative and high-energy
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Public Relations Specialist” in subject line.