Provides assistance to attorneys and representatives who are working with foreign born clients to reach their immigration goals. Is responsible for assisting with administrative duties within the department such as timesheet submission, preparation of filings to immigration as well as managing the court calendar.
Two years’ experience working legal field. Excellent organizational skills. Excellent written and communication skills required. Be alert to cross-cultural interference in dealing with clients and be culturally sensitive.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate legal cases, assist with scheduling of appointments, communication with clients and the preparation and mailing of applications to government entities.
- Maintain client immigration files, both paper and electronic files to ensure they are complete and up-to-date.
- Clear, professional and appropriate communication with U.S. government officials.
- Be responsible for entering payments made by clients into the database and for creating and mailing monthly invoices.
- Assist the legal team including staff, volunteers and AmeriCorps members as appropriate to complete their duties.
- Participate in staff development and training opportunities provided by JFCS in order to maintain stay abreast of changes and best practices.
- Be alert to cross-cultural interference in dealing with clients and behave in culturally sensitive manner in order to be able to respond appropriately to the cultural characteristics of the clients.
- Enter and submit timesheets in a timely manner (weekly).
- Attend all Immigration department meetings and other meetings as required and record meeting minutes.
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned.
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Paralegal/Assistant” in the subject line.
About Jewish Family and Community Services (JFCS) Pittsburgh
The professional staff at JFCS is dedicated to helping people successfully cope with life’s changes and challenges. JFCS helps thousands of people every year, through career, geriatric, counseling, refugee and immigrant, guardian, scholarship, food pantry and critical need services. JFCS strives to create a caring and respectful environment sensitive to the need for human dignity, privacy and diversity of those served by the agency.
Jewish Family and Community Services (JFCS) of Pittsburgh is an EOE non-sectarian, non-profit human service agency providing social service, employment and psychological services to help people through life cycle transitions and crises. Visit www.jfcspgh.org to learn more.