Provides assistance to detained unaccompanied minors by providing Know Your Rights presentations and preliminary legal screenings to help attorneys determine relief options for the minors. Works with attorneys to prepare the minors for appearances in immigration and family court. The position requires travel to the facilities in Pittsburgh and West Virginia.
About Jewish Family and Community Services (JFCS) Pittsburgh
The professional staff at JFCS is dedicated to helping people successfully cope with life’s changes and challenges. JFCS helps thousands of people every year, through career, geriatric, counseling, refugee and immigrant, guardian, scholarship, food pantry and critical need services. JFCS strives to create a caring and respectful environment sensitive to the need for human dignity, privacy and diversity of those served by the agency.
Two years’ experience working legal field. Bilingual in Spanish and English required. Excellent written and oral communication skills required. Be alert to cross-cultural interference in dealing with clients and be culturally sensitive. Experience working with minors or victims of trauma is appreciated.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Travel to detention facilities and provide Know Your Rights presentations to unaccompanied minors.
- Provide initial legal screening to unaccompanied minors and work with attorneys to determine appropriate relief options.
- Work under attorney direction to assist unaccompanied minors to complete forms, draft affidavits and prepare for court.
- Coordinate legal cases, assist with scheduling of appointments, communicate with clients and prepare and mail applications to government entities.
- Maintain client immigration files, both paper and electronic files to ensure they are complete and up-to-date.
- Communicate effectively with shelter staff and be a point of contact to request documents and information.
- Clear, professional and appropriate communication with clients, staff and U.S. government officials.
- Participate in staff development and training opportunities provided by JFCS in order to stay abreast of changes and best practices.
- Enter and submit timesheets in a timely manner (weekly).
- Attend all department meetings and record meeting minutes, attend other meetings as required.
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned.
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Paralegal/Assistant” in the subject line.