Works with detained unaccompanied children team to provide support communicating and scheduling with the staff at the shelters, manage, and enter data required for reporting. This position can also assist with providing Know Your Rights (KYR) presentations and legal intake screenings as time allows or as needed.
Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred. Excellent written and oral communication skills required. Be alert to cross-cultural interference in dealing with clients and be culturally sensitive. Expertise in database management, data systems and reporting required. Experience working with children or victims of trauma is appreciated.
About Jewish Family and Community Services (JFCS) Pittsburgh
The professional staff at JFCS is dedicated to helping people successfully cope with life’s changes and challenges. JFCS helps thousands of people every year, through career, geriatric, counseling, refugee and immigrant, guardian, scholarship, food pantry and critical need services. JFCS strives to create a caring and respectful environment sensitive to the need for human dignity, privacy and diversity of those served by the agency.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as a point of contact with the shelter staff to arrange for scheduling and obtaining requisite information.
- Be responsible for gathering and timely reporting on and managing data in the database as required under the contract.
- Maintain client immigration files, both paper and electronic files to ensure they are complete and up-to-date.
- Drafting the monthly narrative reports, which include the challenges and changes to the program over the past month.
- Provide clear, professional and appropriate communication with clients, staff and other stakeholders.
- Participate in staff development and training opportunities provided by JFCS in order to stay abreast of changes and best practices.
- Enter and submit timesheets in a timely manner (weekly).
- Attend all department meetings; attend other meetings and trainings as required.
- Work under attorney direction to assist unaccompanied children to complete forms, draft affidavits and prepare for court (in limited circumstances).
- Travel to detention facilities and provide Know Your Rights presentations to unaccompanied children (in limited circumstances).
- Provide initial legal screening to unaccompanied children and review with attorneys to help determine appropriate relief options (in limited circumstances).
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned.
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Legal Assistant/Data Specialist” in the subject line.
Jewish Family and Community Services (JFCS) of Pittsburgh is an EOE non-sectarian, non-profit human service agency providing social service, employment and psychological services to help people through lifecycle transitions and crises. Visit www.jfcspgh.org to learn more.