Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes
Recipe adapted from: https://minimalistbaker.com/mediterranean-baked-sweet-potatoes/
Simple, 30-minute baked sweet potatoes topped with roasted chickpeas. Add a simple garlic-herb sauce or some additional topping for an extra twist. Delicious, fresh, healthy, and naturally vegetarian and gluten free.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 15 ounce can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- ½ tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp each of cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and paprika
- 1 pinch of sea salt or lemon juice (optional)
Garlic Herb Sauce (Optional)
- ¼ cup hummus or tahini
- ½ medium lemon juiced (or about 1 tbsp. juice)
- ¾ tsp dried dill
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Water or unsweetened almond milk to thin
- Sea salt to taste
Additional Topping Ideas (Optional)
- Cherry tomatoes (diced)
- Chopped parsley
- Lemon juice
- Goat or feta cheese
- Baby spinach, lightly sautéed
- Preheat oven to 400* F and line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Rinse and scrub potatoes and cut in half length wise or in cubes. This will speed cooking time. Otherwise leave whole and bake longer (approximately double the time (45 min – 1 hour).
- Toss rinsed and drained chickpeas with olive oil and spices and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Rub the sweet potatoes with a bit of olive oil and place face down on the same baking sheet (or another baking sheet depending on size).
- While the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are roasting, you can prepare your sauce by adding all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisking to combine, only adding enough water to almond milk to thin so it’s pourable. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add more garlic for more zing, salt for savoriness, lemon juice for freshness, and dill for a more intense herb flavor.
- Once sweet potatoes are fork tender and the chickpeas are golden brown – roughly 25 minutes – remove from oven.
- For serving, flip potatoes flesh-side up and smash down the insides a little bit. Then top with chickpeas. Add sauce or other optional toppings if desired.