Career Counselor, MH/ASD Specialist
Experience working with individuals who have a mental health challenge or are on the autism spectrum. Passionate about helping individuals achieve independence through work. Applicants must have a strong background in mental health and working towards certification. A CRC, LCSW, LSW, or Counseling degree is preferred.
As a part of the JFCS Career Development Center’s career counseling team, this position works to develop career pathways and long-term career goals for job seekers in Allegheny County who struggle with mental health challenges and/or are on the autism spectrum. This individual works with job seekers ensuring they have all the tools necessary to achieve their goal; whether their goal be higher education, employment or career advancement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Determine client eligibility for programming through JFCS Career Development Center
- Develop individualized career pathway plan with each client
- Identify and work to reduce barriers to accessing and retaining employment, including transportation, child care, and food insecurity, to help clients find stability and family-sustaining wages
- Ensure each client has high quality materials needed to conduct a successful job search
- Conduct individual career counseling sessions, both virtually and in person
- Help to develop and deliver workshops targeted towards unique populations
- Maintain contact with clients during job search and after placement to ensure job retention
- Participate in training and represents JFCS when working with partner organizations and funders
- Work closely with collaborating agencies and other JFCS departments
- Act as a liaison for JFCS and hold off-site office hours (post-Covid) to best serve job seekers and partner organizations including universities, other non and for-profits
- Represent JFCS in the community, through community outreach, and public speaking
- Track and monitor programs in agency database system and other required formats
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Career Counselor, MH/ASD Specialist” in the subject line. Visit www.jfcspgh.org to learn more.